A High Cost to Pay, a report published in 2013 by the umbrella body Homeless Link, indicates that individuals who have experienced homelessness are being disproportionately affected by benefit sanctions.
The report shown
- 31% of homeless people on Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) have been sanctioned, compared to just 3% of typical claimants
- Nearly a third of services report homeless people being sanctioned while facing poor mental health, learning difficulties or substance misuse problems
- The majority report clients being pushed into debt, food poverty and survival crime
- Services report clients’ existing problems getting worse as a result of sanctions, with only a minority being motivated by sanctions to find employment
- The report calls for changes to the sanctions regime to take into account the issues homeless people are trying to overcome
Since this report was published in 2013 the problem of both homelessness and benefit sanctions has risen. As a customer of the Jobcentre I can honestly say the behavior of some of the staff is manipulative, forceful and sometimes just not called for. Some people have called me arrogant when I posted a video of a interview I recorded with a member of the Jobcentre’s staff. These people fail to understand the Jobcentre are only there to trick you out of your benefits and cause a sanction.
That’s why they keep updating the claimant commitment, that’s why you do not have a set time or day of the week anymore, they pick and choose making much more likely that people forget their appointments. That’s why they want to access your universal job-match accounts and that’s why they keep sending people to meaningless courses, appointments and the ultra useless jobfare’s they offer.
It seems to me the only jobs going is caring or low paid corporate slave work such as Amazon, McDonalds, Tesco and so on.
There are three reasons poverty and homelessness has risen and workers wages have not. 1. The benefit system 2. The tax evasion of the establishment and rich 3. The ridiculous high cost of living. All these things are caused by bad governing and government.